Nurturing the Mother
September 8th – 10th, 2022
Time: 9:00AM – 6:00PM
Cost: $475 until 8/8 then $495
Instructor: Chelsea Adams-Cook, LMT
Nurturing the Mother® has certified 1000s of massage therapists in pregnancy and postpartum massage since 1990. This method utilizes a comfortable, secure side-lying position to avoid undue pressure on a growing abdomen and the lower back. Mothers are completely supported by pillows, keeping hip, knee, and ankle on the same level to avoid pulling on the sacroiliac joint and to maximize blood and lymph circulation. Side-lying is the safest for mother and baby and educates the client about the ideal sleeping position.
This Nurturing the Mother® protocol uses a combination of the following methods:
- Calming Swedish massage strokes for deep muscle relaxation, tension release and increased circulation.
- Gentle range-of-motion and stretching movements to relieve pressure through the neck, shoulders, rib cage, lower back, and hips, and to promote greater strength, flexibility, and balance
- Deep tissue techniques in the hip and gluteal area to help alleviate chronic lower back and hip pain.
- Abdominal massage with client permission for round ligament pain, to support digestion, increase circulation to the placenta and baby and increase awareness of the baby. The baby will feel and benefit from the massage.
- Lymph drainage strokes reduce pregnancy-induced edema.
This course also includes Labor Massage, Postpartum massage protocol, and an introduction to newborn and infant massage. LMTs are supported with marketing material to promote their new skills.
“I loved this workshop. It totally changed my views on giving birth and how women should be supporting each other. I also learned how important the birth process is and I plan to support my clients in a balanced and nonjudgmental way.”
Chelsea is a Licensed Massage Therapist in the state of Maryland since 2012. She graduated from Anne Arundel Community College where she received her Associate’s Degree in Massage Therapy. She is currently continuing her education to become an Acupuncturist.
Since graduating Chelsea has become certified in Prenatal/Postpartum, Fertility, Reflexology, and Hot Stone Massage. The first continuing education class Chelsea took was Claire’s Nurturing the Mother® Pregnancy and Postpartum and she fell in love with the work. Chelsea has worked on building her business to help mothers through their pregnancy and beyond. Since then, she has studied fertility massage with Claire and is so grateful to be helping women throughout their journey from conception to birth. Chelsea is excited to be able to teach Claire Marie Miller’s Seminars and to share all the knowledge that she has gained with others.
Parking: Please be mindful of parking in front of AMTB and other High Street businesses. There is a paid parking lot on Hanover Street and can be paid using the ParkMobile app.